RN, LPN Requirement:
20 contact hours within the last renewal period related to the practice of nursing. At least 10 of the 20 hours must be formally peer reviewed and approved continuing education. Up to 4 of those hours may be CPR and BLS courses (combined).
APRN-CNS - Current active RN license and:
* National certification/recertification or documentation of an alternative method of competency assessment, if licensed after September 1, 2007;
* At least 2080 hours of practice as a Clinical Nurse Specialist within the previous five years immediately preceding renewal;
* At least 40 contact hours of continuing education in the clinical specialty area within the previous two years.
APRN-CRNA - Current active RN license and hold current national certification (NBCRNA).
APRN-NP - Current active RN license and:
* Current National Certification/Recertification;
* If licensed less than 2 years, you are not required to meet the continuing education or practice requirement for license renewal.
* If licensed more than 2 years but less than 5 years, at least 40 contact hours of continuing education in their clinical specialty area within the 2 years preceding the renewal period. 10 of the 40 contact hours must be in pharmacotherapeutics. (2080 hours of practice is not required)
* If licensed more than 5 years, at least 2080 hours of practice as an APRN within the previous 5 years immediately preceding renewal AND documentation of 40 contact hours of continuing education in the clinical specialty area within the previous 2 years, 10 hours must be in pharmacotherapeutics;
* At least 500 of the 2080 hours of practice must be in a clinical role in which there is a direct nurse/patient relationship;
RNs and APRNs - October 31 of each even-numbered year.
LPNs - October 31 of each odd-numbered year.
Nebraska Health and Human Services Phone:
Nebraska Health and Human Services
Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services
PO Box 95026
Lincoln NE 68509-5026
Requirements Disclaimer: Although we try to keep our links and other information as up-to-date as possible, ultimately, it is the responsibility of each individual user to understand and keep up-to-date with the requirements of the license possessed.