RN, LPN Requirement:
Effective August 1, 2013, RNs and LPNs shall complete at least one of the following activities for licensure renewal:
* Current specialty certification by a national certifying organization, as defined in 18VAC90-20-10.
* Completion of a minimum of three credit hours of post-licensure academic education relevant to nursing practice, offered by a regionally-accredited college or university.
* A board-approved refresher course in nursing.
* Completion of nursing-related, evidence-based practice project or research study.
* Completion of publication as the author or co-author during a renewal cycle.
* Teaching a nursing-related course resulting in no less than three semester hours of college credit or specialty certification.
* Teaching nursing-related continuing education courses for up to 30 contact hours.
* 15 contact hours of workshops, seminars, conferences or courses relevant to the practice of nursing and 640 hours of active practice as a nurse.
* 30 contact hours of workshops, seminars, conferences or courses relevant to the practice of nursing.
These regulations will affect licensure renewals beginning August 1, 2015.
Virginia State Board of Nursing Phone:
Virginia State Board of Nursing
Department of Health Professions
Vermont State Board of Nursing
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463
Requirements Disclaimer: Although we try to keep our links and other information as up-to-date as possible, ultimately, it is the responsibility of each individual user to understand and keep up-to-date with the requirements of the license possessed.